8.6.07

la petite cervelle, B.Sc. M.Sc.

the defense? it all worked out.

now to the important bits! celebrated with a pint of my favourite yummy Caledonian 80/- and a half-pint of the very tasty Delirium Tremens, which comes in the cutest glass i've ever seen (those are tiny pink elephants). since all i had for breakfast and lunch beforehand was 2 cups of coffee and a breakfast muslix pita with peanut butter, i supplemented the perfect beers with an elegant oval of mushroom and blue cheese pizza. beer and pizza in this master-ful style was provided by beerbistro.

knowing me, the festivities didn't end there. a couple of hours later, i had a small group of friends join me for dinner at The Rosebud, my favourite Toronto restaurant. highlights were an heirloom tomato and watermelon gazpacho riddled with tender grilled shrimp, and a praline semifreddo with perfectly bitter mocha mousse for dessert. mmmmmmmm.

with the adrenaline from the morning's nerves and early afternoon defending, the landmark of adding a few more letters after my name, the good feedback from my committee and examiners, the company of my colleagues and friends, and the yumminess of drinks and dinner, i would say it was close to the best day ever. sitting between courses at dinner, i think i said that it felt as though it was my wedding day, but i was getting married to myself. i can't imagine what it will feel like when i get the Ph.D. pulled together... in the mean time, yay for me.

2 comments:

MTrotter said...

Yay you! Way to be a Master of Science! Now all you need is a sword and a She-rah style costume...

Judy Martin said...

Congratulations Sarah!
I love how you said you were married to yourself. Yes of course, we all have to be this first.
Now on to the PHD. Looking forward to seeing you later on this summer.