5.2.07

i heart co-op

apparently the excitement of my new laptop has kept me from posting for a full 2.5 weeks. i've been amassing things to talk about in that time, though, so sit tight.

first up? my new obsession and life-changing experience. joining a neighbourhood food co-op! my landlords were generously kind enough to gift me with a membership for xmas. i had been talking to one of them about the struggle to find good local produce on a regular and accessible basis without signing up for a delivery service or visiting the farmer's market on saturday mornings. she had been a member of a local co-op for the past many years, and suggested i come try it out. in my 2006 procrastinating ways, i never did. but with the gifting of the membership, i was obligated - and so, about a week after i got back to toronto from the holidays, i made my way over to the co-op and executed my first trial shop. i was hardly in the doors before falling head over heels. not only is it hidden in a little back alley, away from the noise and light pollution of the big city, but real people work there (i.e. not teenage robots) and they play the same music that i was listening to at home 10 minutes before walking over!

before extolling any more virtues, i will explain to my questioning readers what exactly 'food co-op' refers to. in this case, a group of people got together back in the 70's and felt like they were not having sufficient access to healthy, locally-grown, non-pesticided foods. these people took a mortgage out on an old bakery, started sourcing healthy, locally-grown, non-pesticided foods, and opened up to the community. in order to shop at the co-op, you had to become a member. this meant paying a small membership loan up front (it's now about $70), an annual membership fee (now about $16), and volunteering 2 hours of your time every month to help keep the place running. in return, the co-op staff take care of making sure the food is grown, prepared, and packaged in a healthy and ethical way, and they keep mark-up on prices incredibly low because the co-op is NON-PROFIT. so much like for one of my favourite NON-PROFIT orgs from one of my earlier lives, the Ottawa School of Art (where I worked for several years during high school), all money that the co-op takes in is invested back in the co-op. as a result, money flows from the customer through the co-op to the healthy and ethical food producers, and the producers get to remain producers as they are sustained by support from the co-op.

all this appeals to me at a political level and at a basic satisfaction of needs level. as someone who enjoys food A LOT, and who loves to cook in a number of different styles, i am blown away by the diversity of ingredients the co-op carries. at last! one store that sells Lacinato kale, shiitake mushrooms, tamari-roasted almonds, and my favourite breakfast muslix pitas. behold the bounty.



and that was just my trial shop...

No comments: